Initially launched as a pilot project with Toronto Public Health in 1980, the Mobile Health Clinic Program (MHC) was developed to provide sexual health services onsite to the many immigrant women working in garment factories in Toronto’s downtown core. A Winnebago camper was purchased and retro-fitted into a clinic and was soon on the road with a doctor and counsellor on board. The project was immediately embraced and quickly became a popular service of IWHC; the program soon branched out to partner with and serve other workplaces, agencies, community centres, places of worship, adult learning centres, ESL schools, and settlement organizations. The Mobile Clinic was retired in 2019.
Take a historic ride with us to GOOD HEALTH!
In the 2010s, the Mobile Health Clinic Program enjoyed incredible popularity and support, seeing just under 1000 clients per year across Toronto, as well as servicing a few thousand per year in educational workshops. The program boasted over 50 partner agencies spanning multiple languages and cultures.Read more
As the 1990’s drew to a close, it was evident that the original Mobile Health Clinic vehicle was no longer able to support the vast work that was required of it. IWHC recruited a Mobile Health Clinic Funding Committee to fundraise over $300,000 for a new Mobile Health Clinic Unit which was entirely designed by the IWHC staff.Read more
During the 1990’s, IWHC’s Mobile Health Clinic Program expanded to include community agencies, ESL schools and religious organizations. The idea was to locate and give access to services to the most vulnerable and hardest-to-reach populations.Read more
By the 1980’s Immigrant Women’s Health Centre staff had begun thinking about how to expand services and provide sexual health education and clinical services across the city of Toronto.Read more
In 1975, The Birth Control and Venereal Disease Centre (BCVD) noted the need for sexual health services for immigrant women to be provided in their languages.Read more